Estimator (Landscaping & Maintenance)
Grants Creek Nursery Inc
763 Grants Creek Road , Jacksonville , NC - 28546
Purpose and Description:
Position is responsible for producing accurate and timely bid estimates for the Company within division or Company. Primary focus in on estimates for landscape management contracts, but also works on landscape, irrigation, lighting, hardscape and property maintenance projects. Ensures estimates are produced in such a timely and accurate fashion the sales department will be able to present and win an above average percentage of the jobs is proposes. Responsible for staying abreast of product, supply and sub-contractor prices as well as the Company’s operating production capabilities to ensure accurate estimates. Position negotiates pricing with vendors, subcontractors, performs site assessments and makes decisions on how to adjust price based upon circumstances of site or project.
1. Performs all aspects of bidding process, including: measuring properties for field estimates, reviewing invitations to bid, pre-site inspections, drawing plans for irrigation and landscaping or maintenance services, preparing estimates.
2. Submit accurate Company bids in a timely and effective manner. Meet deadlines of requesting party.
3. Meet or exceed established sales goals, if assigned.
4. Accurately records and meets the budgeted estimating man-hours required to generate an estimate on all assigned jobs. Communicates within department as appropriate.
5. Frequent customer contact to discuss project and make changes/corrections as needed.
6. Secure and manage suppliers in conjunction with production staff for all products and services the project will require. Negotiate with suppliers to the lowest possible price without creating adversarial relationships that could affect quality or on-time delivery.
7. Pre Installation/Service: review contracts, write up new job information, draw plans for landscaping and irrigation projects, coordinate utility locates, obtain and determine placement of plant material on job site, write subcontracts and change orders, secure performance and payment bonds when necessary.
8. Provides value engineering ideas that may improve the Company’s competitive position. Establishes the Company as a “subject matter expert” within the market.
9. Installation/Service: attend on-site job meetings, monitor quality of plant material, and document activities in order to complete installation in a satisfactory manner.
10. Maintain keen awareness and provides candid feedback on customer relationship and the customer’s perceptions of the product and service being provided, to maximize customer retention.
11. Communicate to appropriate parties any problem areas and work to find immediate resolution.
12. Post Installation: arrange inspections, submit warranty reports, coordinate efforts to obtain landscape management and/or seasonal color agreements with customer, monitor payment and/or collection needs, perform landscape and irrigation walk-throughs, and perform periodic visual inspections of property to ensure appropriate customer maintenance occurs.
13. Analyzes awarded bids for estimating accuracy
14. Represents Company at various events, organizations and associations for the purpose of building relationships that lead to new business. Acts in capacity of Company representative and develops community ties to enhance public image and brand of the Company. Maintains positive relations with other companies in the industry and related industries.
15. Participates in various industry associations to increase knowledge of marketplace, sales opportunities, the competition, selling techniques and best practices.
16. Maintains current vendor files with that includes contact information, manuals, pricing and product catalogues.
17. Continuously sources for new products and/or vendors capable of advancing company goals. Ensures new products or vendors are qualified, tested and/or approved to be reliable before utilizing.
18. Other duties as assigned.
1. To produce all estimates, contracts or change orders, accurately and in a timely manner to support sales and ensure company wins an above average percentage of jobs proposed.
2. To provide value-engineering ideas to improve the Company’s competitive position
3. To stay abreast and current on product, vendors, sub-contractors and other suppliers prices to ensure accurate estimates.
4. To recommend satisfactory substitutes for materials not readily available.
5. To work with vendors, suppliers, purchasing and production staff to maintain good understanding of material availability.
6. To work with production to ensure understanding of production capability and to accurately estimate man-hours required for job completion.
7. To support and participate in the development, implementation and refinement of departmental best practices. To keep abreast of new methods that might be applicable to the Company; constantly pursues new ideas, which could be implemented.
8. To keep an accurate and up-to-date bid schedule9. To continue to seek ways to automate and streamline the estimating process